Monday, November 1, 2010

A Little Brighter

Maybe this situation is salvageable. Wingspan replied back that they can drop the listing price for the hard cover to $27.95 (at a lower royalty, of course). That’s still pretty pricey, but I checked BN.com today and found that they are listing Mourning Under the Bridge for a discounted rate. The hard cover is $23.72 and the soft cover $12.92. I’m pretty happy about that, because what is the point of publishing your book if no one can afford to buy it?

I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my second book. POD seemed to be the easiest route, but I’m giving away a lot of my profit for nothing. I mean, I’d gladly pay the price if the publisher actually did something, like provide a professional layout without me having to tell them what to do. I’d love it if they edited their own work after they dumped the files into InDesign. For the money I paid, I shouldn’t have had to tell them that they misaligned several pages.

So what do I do? Should I go through submission hell with a hundred different publishers and agents only to lose my rights and get low royalties and very little marketing? Should I buy my own copy of InDesign and do the layout myself? I’m not sure I know the business enough to be comfortable with that. There really are a lot of options these days. I’ll have to look into what is available. I know Amazon has a program where you can upload your own book and they’ll do a print on demand for you. I’m not sure how that works yet, but I will put finding out on my to-do list.

In the meantime, Mourning Under the Bridge is listed on BN.com, but the entire listing is not complete yet. I’ve heard that it takes a few days for the cover art and summary to catch up with the listing. I don’t expect any sales until the listing is complete. When it is, I will post a link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment